Introduction to Linux Operating System RHEL 7/Centos 7
Introduction to Linux Operating system RHEL 7/Centos 7
UNIX is the first Operating system in the world, developed by Kem Thompson and Dennis Ritchie in 1969 at Bell Lab by AT&T Company
- IBM : AIX
- SGI : IRIX
- Sun : Solaris
Free software foundation organization, they start a project by name GNU. The main aim of this project is to develop such an operating system that can run on any platform.
In 1991, a student Linuz Torvalds developed a kernel named Linux’s kernel plus GNU application called Linux operating system.
Linux is an open source technology.
Different companies that provide Linux in Market are Redhat, Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSe, Scientific, Centos, and Knoppix etc.
- Linux is the fastest Operating system in the world. It runs 2 to 3 times fast than windows OS.
- Linux is the much secured OS because there is no any problem of virus.
- Linux file format is text format and windows file format is binary format.
- Linux is very reliable OS because kernel of Linux is very stable as compare to windows kernel not crashed easily.
- Kernel of Linux is very small in size it can be stored in floppy.
- Linux uses the x-Window system which is advanced network windowing system. Using this system we can display output of any workstation monitor attached in the network.
- Virus Proof
- Crash Proof
- Multiuser, Multi-Tasking and Multi processing capacity
1.Text mode (CLI)
2.Graphical Mode (GUI)
Login to Text mode we have use (Ctrl+Alt+F1…..F6, F8….F12) (Ctrl+Alt+F7) for Graphical Mode
Linux is mostly used by internet servers and database servers. It is a very efficient multi-user and multi-taking operating system traditionally used by large companies and educational institutions.
It is scalable from a small system to enterprise level system, which makes it suitable for anyone looking for low cost, reliable operating system.
For programmers it has more and more built-in utilities / tools, programmable shell and a straight forward structure which is very easy to compile/produce complex programs.
Linux Operating systems has CLI and GUI interfaces to work on. For end users / Beginners they can make use of GUI interface to work. The GUI interface called as X windows and it supports many business applications and games.
Please provide your valuable comments …..
Thanks for your wonderful Support and Encouragement
Stay Connected With Us. Learn More and Earn More