MAC Address change in Linux Server and Reasons behind it
A MAC Address (Media Access Control Address) is very important in the field of computer networking. A MAC address is a unique twelve-hex-digit (48 bits) fingerprint/identifier for network interface cards (NICs). Basically never try to change MAC address of your server. MAC address is a UNIQ bit of code which is assigned to your NIC card, First 24bit of code is vendor bits and remaining 24bits are Serial, In this article we are going to see How MAC address Change in Linux Server and Reasons behind changing MAC Address.
MAC addresses are used by most IEEE-802-compliant networks as an address for each NIC. As now i heard that we can change only IP (Internet Protocol) of the server but now we are going to see MAC Address Change in Linux Server. Wow..!!
MAC address may also be called a Hardware Address, Physical Address or Ethernet hardware address (EHA).
Reasons behind changing MAC address of Linux system
- Privacy matters: for instance when you are connecting to WI-fi hotspot
- To ensure interoperability : internet service providers bind their service to a specific MAC address. If user then changes N/W card to install a router, the service won’t work, when you changing the MAC address of the new interface will solve the problem.
- Application license validation based on MAC Address – some of the application licenses works when MAC address matches.
- Ethical Hacking practices for identification change
- Network Testing
MAC address Change
Login with root user in Linux server
First have to find the physical MAC address of Linux system by using with below command
[root@ArkIt ~]# ifconfig eth0 |grep eth0 eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:B3:54:EC [root@ArkIT ~]# ifconfig eth0 down [root@Arkit ~]# ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:0C:29:b3:54:EB [root@Arkit ~]# ifconfig etho up
View MAC Address of your Linux Server
[root@ArkIt ~]# ifconfig eth0 |grep HWaddr eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:B3:54:EB
You can change your own Linux Server MAC address within a Minute of time without reboot. MAC change can be done only from direct console not from remote sessions.
Please Comment your feedback.
Thanks for your wonderful Support.
Stay Connected with us. Learn More and Earn More
- Do Not Miss Interesting and Important Articles: Signin Now
- Download free PDF Books : Download Anything and Everything for Free
- Stay Connected with Us: Facebook Page | Twitt | Google Plus | LinkedIn | RSS feeds
- High Qualitfy Video Tutorials : All Videos