Introduction to computer Networking – Video Tutorial
Introduction to computer Networking – A Network is an interconnection of computers, workstation and peripherals, It facilitates the transfer of information and sharing of resources between a number of users, These resources include peripheral devices such as printers, scanners.
What is a Computer Network?
A computer network is a system in which multiple computers are connected to each other to share information and resources.
Characteristics of a computer network. Introduction to computer Networking
- Share Resources from one computer to another
- Create files and store them in one computer, access those files from the other computer(s) connected over the network
- Connect a printer, scanner, or a fax machine to one computer within the network and let other computers of the network use the machines available over network.
Following is the list of hardware’s required to setup a computer network.
- Network Cables
- Internal Network Cards
- External Network Cards
Networks can be categorised as per the geographical area that they cover. The different types of networks are:
- Local area network (LAN)
- Campus Area Network (CAN)
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
Introduction to computer Networking
- Explain the history of computer networks (ARPANET)
- Explain the need of networks
- Explain types of Computer networks
- Explain layers of Open System interconnection (OSI) model
- Explain network selection criteria
- Explain Standard organisations
Local area network is a computer network that spans over a small area. It connects computers and workstations to share data and resources, such as printers of faxes. LAN is restricted to a small area such as home, Office or College.