Overview of IBM DS4700 deep dive SAN technology
DS4700 Express Controller Architecture
The DS4700 Express Storage System integrates high-speed, industry-standard components with the robust firmware to deliver enterprise-class functionality and high performance designed to help lower cost.
The DS4700 Express takes advantage of a 4 Gb/s bus between its core processor and I/O chips. This 64 bit, 133 MHz bus can handle vast quantities of large-block I/O (up to 990 MB/s on 512k sequential disk reads), and the speed to process large amounts of small-block I/O (44,000 IOPS on 4k random disk reads).
The I/O system core provides built-in hardware for high-speed RAID parity calculations – with a dedicated chip – And the DS4700 Express takes full advantage of its 4 Gb/s interfaces and high-speed internal buses to provide maximum throughput (MB/s) to bandwidth- intensive applications.
Each DS4700 Express controller has 4Gb/s Fibre Channel host I/O ports (eight per dual- controller Model 72, and four per Model 70) and two 4 Gb/s Fibre Channel drive I/O ports (four drive channels per storage system). With dual-controller configurations, integrated Fibre Channel loop switches connect the drive-side Fibre Channel interface chips in each controller.
Additionally, each controller has two isolated Ethernet ports – one for out-of-band management over a local or remote network, and one for authorized service personnel troubleshooting and diagnostics.
The DS4700 Express Storage System represents a combination of a proven design and advanced technology, designed to provide maximum advantage with the lowest risk
- High performance, reliability, density, compliance
- Designed to help lower direct and indirect costs (space, power, cooling, support, maintenance)
- Designed for ease of use (hardware, software and documentation, GUI-driven management, etc.)
High performance design
- IOPS, throughput or bandwidth
- Application mixes requiring both IOPs and bandwidth performance
Scalability to help storage growth at a rate consistent with your needs
- Maximum of 112 drives with up to 33.6TB of FC
DAC store is designed to provide the following benefits:
- Creates “data intact” drive portability as drives are not bound to a given enclosure or slot
- Individual physical drives can be relocated within a system to help improve channel utilization (performance / availability)
- Individual RAID arrays can be migrated to another system
- Full systems can be upgraded by simply replacing the controllers.
Designed with high availability features
- Redundant components
- All data paths may be configured for automatic fail-over
Heterogeneous host system support, including multi-pathing failover drivers
- Up to 1,024 volumes for large-scale consolidation
Mix drive types in the same enclosure, may help boost tiered storage performance to an even higher level
- Tiered storage requirements can be managed in even a modest system
Numerous data protection options, without additional requirements or load on your server resources
- Flash Copy
- Volume Copy
- Synchronous and Asynchronous – Enhanced Remote Mirroring
High density storage for large or small capacity applications
- 4.8TB of FC RAID performance storage with failover, backup (using Flash Copy) in a 3U enclosure
Maximum performance and continuous availability at a price you wouldn’t believe
- Serving a wide range of storage consolidation and clustering applications. The IBM System Storage DS4700 is designed to be an affordable, scalable storage server for storage consolidation and clustering applications.
- Its modular architecture—which includes Dynamic Capacity Addition, Dynamic Volume Expansion—can support on demand business environments by helping to enable storage to grow as demands increase.
- Autonomic features such as online firmware upgrades and DS4000 Service Alert also help enhance the system’s usability.
Thanks for the Read.
overview of IBM DS4700 overview of IBM DS4700 overview of IBM DS4700 overview of IBM DS4700